A Sweet 16 is a party to mark a teenage girl’s passage to early adulthood. In some cultures, a more formal event is held to welcome the girl into another stage of maturity in her life and the society. It is also often referred to as a “coming out” ceremony.
For most girls, turning Sweet Sixteen is an important part of her transition into adulthood, and is considered a close second to her wedding. That is why planning a Sweet Sixteen birthday party is something that should not be taken lightly as just another birthday party.
Pre-planning: 2 to 3 months before the party
Planning a Sweet Sixteen party can take a lot of time depending on how detailed you want the party to be.
- Decide on a date. The date doesn’t have to fall exactly on the day of the birthday. It can be after. Make sure you consider the holidays and schedule accordingly. You don’t want an empty birthday party.
- Select your venue. Picking a location for such a big event can be a daunting task. You need to keep in mind how many guests you’ll be having and of course your budget. Aside from a ballroom or party hall, you can use your yard, a local park, or a community center.
- Who will be attending? While some girls want an intimate party with just close friends and family, some will want a big, elaborate one. Be sure to plan out in advance the guest list.
- Send save-the-dates notice. Since the big bash is months away, it’s a good idea to send a save the date magnet first so the guests will not plan anything on that date.
- Order an appropriate Sweet Sixteen invitation. Once you finalize the venue, date, and guest list it’s time to order your sweet 16 invitations
During this phase of the planning you’ll be taking care of the important details of the party. You many need some help so don’t hesitate to ask for one.
- Theme – pick out a theme that will make the party unforgettable for the birthday girl as well as the guest. Be sure to ask her opinion as she might already have something in mind. Young girls can be very creative!
- Food – this is where most of your budget will go. You can have the event catered or have a home-cooked buffet. If the event is at a restaurant, then be sure to check the menu ahead of time. Don’t forget to order the cake.
- Entertainment – a sweet sixteen party is not complete without a program that honors the birthday girl. Plan out a few games to entertain all the guests. Hire a DJ to play some of the most favorite music of the birthday girl. This will give everyone a chance to dance and have a good time.
- Party favors – a good hostess will never let the guests go home without a sweet 16 party favor. It can be something edible like sweet 16 candy jar or chic like mini favor purposes. Options are endless so be sure to match the favors to the style and personality of the birthday girl.
Searching for caterers for your next sweet 16? Give us a call today for a quote at (718)-720-0900. We’ll be happy to help you plan your next event!
About Chez Vous Caterers
Staten Island caterers, Chez Vous catering and party rentals, proudly serves the entire New York City area.
With over 20 years in the business Chez Vous proudly offers elegant service at inspiring pricing. Catering, Party Rentals, and Planning are available for Weddings, Sweet Sixteens, Birthdays, Baby Showers, Corporate Events, and any other gathering that requires great food and service.
Staten Island Off-Premise Catering Service
If you are hosting an event at your home or another unique location, let us provide the food, staff, tables, and chairs necessary to transform any space into an elegant environment.
To contact us about catering at our home or yours, contact us at: (718) 720-0900